Saturday, February 23, 2013

Audrey's Big Adventure

Audrey and I (and James too) all had a BIG adventure this past week.  James is on a 2 week long trip to Australia.  Last month as we were talking about his trip and what it would entail for all of us, his parents volunteered to have Audrey stay with them for a week so they could spend time with her and I wouldn't be on my own for 16.days.straight.  (But who's counting?)  At first we were a little hesitant.  Audrey hasn't been away from either one of us for an extended period of time since we left her with Grammy for 4 days when Amanda and Rick got married.  But the more we talked about it, the more it made sense.  Audrey loves her Nana and Papa, and they had so many fun things planned for her.  Plus, they raised two awesome kids of their own, so I was sure they could manage.  ;)  Trip planned!  

My mom and I drove down to Corsicana last Sunday to meet Nana and Papa at the Collins Street Bakery.  This was a place I have driven by hundreds of times but never actually stopped.  It was SO GOOD.  I was a little nervous at first, but Audrey ran right to her Papa and stayed by him during the entire lunch.  When it was time to go, she just hopped right in their car and said "Bye Mama!'  Really?  No tears for leaving me?  In all seriousness it warmed my heart that she felt comfortable enough with them to leave me.  She was so excited.  

Ready to leave with Nana and Papa:



I was a nervous wreck the way home.  I don't know why, I just felt a sense of worry.  How would she do in the long car ride to Houston?  Would she miss me?  So I called later that night and she was fine.  Of course.  But as I went to bed I worried how she would sleep.  

The next morning I went off to work for a day full of inservice meetings.  I kept my phone with me.  I checked my e-mail and got an e-mail from Suzette that Audrey slept great.  Whew.  Then I got this photo texted to me, with the caption "We took her to the toy store and let her pick out whatever she wanted."


Ha!  I immediately showed my co-workers and my friend said "Have fun when she comes back!"  I knew right then that when she got home it would be difficult to reinforce the rules, but it was worth it to have her be spoiled for a week by her grandparents.

Then they took her to Galveston, this is the first time she saw the ocean!

Digging in the sand with Papa


Nana and Papa also took Audrey to the Houston Children's Museum and she loved it.



And of course they took her to Barnes and Noble.  Our little reader!


So while they were off to the beach, the museum, and Starbucks every morning (Jerry took Audrey there every morning for a donut!), I was at home.  I worked late.  I worked out every morning.  I even reached my goal of running 3 miles today!  I went to Happy Hour with friends last night.  (I haven't been to Friday Happy Hour in years, because I either have Audrey or am getting her to James'), I did my Bible Study.  I read.  But when I found myself so bored on Thursday night that I was scrubbing the bathroom I knew it was time to be with my Auds again!  What did I ever do before her?  Life has been so boring this past week!

But today I got to drive back to Corsicana and pick her up.  :)))  She was SO sweet with me.  We have been smiling since we got home.  Off to have movie night . . .

3 comments:

garyn said...

Great stuff. Wonderful for everybody. Glad that it went off without a hitch.
Grandpa

Gerri said...

It was wonderful for all of you. Audrey loves her Nana and PaPa!

James said...

Yay Audrey!! I miss her soooo bad! You were right, I should have made this a shorter vaca - I can't wait to see her and hear all about her adventures!