Friday, March 1, 2013

Good Mom Friends

When you have kids, your social life changes.  It no longer revolves around you, but your child.  And your child is not always the best guest.  Or host.  Or friend.  So it's important that you surround yourself with mom friends who "get it."  Some women like to spend all of their time with you telling you about how great, potty-trained, able to write all of the letters, perfect their kids are.  Those ladies wouldn't last long with us as Audrey tends to push the limits at playdates sometimes.  So I am so blessed to have so many wonderful women in my life who help me to be a better mom.  Those who are open and honest about the challenges of parenting.  Just this past week I talked with my friend at work who is going through her own issues with her strong-willed child.  This particular friend is one of those people who always just has it together.  So to hear her open up about her frustrations with her child made me feel like "Ok, if YOU struggle with your child sometimes, then it's ok that I do too!"  

We had a long week.  After trying to get Audrey back on schedule after getting back from her grandparents, dealing with her really missing her Daddy, and with me being on my own for a whole week, we are both a little tired tonight.  But we had plans to meet up with Audrey's BFF and her mom at Chick-Fil-A for dinner tonight.  And by dinner I mean we met at 5:15.  (and I was already exhausted!)  Just as we were sitting down and I was worrying that I wouldn't be able to put a sentence together and enjoy dinner, my friend looked at me and said "I'm exhausted.  We have had THE worst week."  Ok then.  You're speaking my language.  We spent the next hour talking about parenting, in between the girls having to go potty, coming in and out of the play area, and arguing over toys.  We shared stories about issues our girls were having.  How we were handling them.  It was just so nice to spend some down time talking with a friend who is dealing with the same exact issues I am.  Who is HONEST about it.  Parenting is hard.  I love being able to share stories with other parents.  It keeps me sane!  I am so thankful for the wonderful friends that Audrey and I both have.

3 comments:

Gerri said...

Cherish these beautiful friendships. You are a blessing to each other.

garyn said...

You are blessed to have friends to help you through the rough patches that we all encounter. Your parenting skills always shine through in your writings and it so very nice to see. Hopefully you will have a chance to get a little rest and have some "mom time" this weekend.

N said...

Yes, this nana reads and loves what you write!!!! I had always heard that being a grandparent was the best and it is so true!!!! All we get is the fun :)